Sunday, June 06, 2010

Fish and Chips

My mother arrived last night and we ate at a "family restaurant" on the way back from Fukuoka. Then tonight we had her first home-cooked meal at our house ..... fish and chips! My mother-in-law offered to give us some of the shark that they had filleted and I would have to say that it definitely tasted like good old Kiwi fish and chips - just what you want to feed your mother when she arrives in Japan from New Zealand! Perhaps I won't be saying no next time I am offered some - just trying to find someone who is willing to fillet it for us! I did go a little fancier than chips though with hedgehog potatoes and some fresh salad. Here's hoping the meals become a little more Japanese over the next 3 weeks.....

6 comments:

  1. OK, next time you get offloaded with some shark you need to ask MIL (I'll pay her) to fillet it and then ring me and rachel up so we can all play happy new zealand families for a night and cook fish and chips. Your dinner looks so yummy. Your mum has loads of time for nimono, sushi and sukiyaki.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so delicious Jo! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I can gut a mackereal... give me time, a sharp knife and some links on the internet and I'll give it a go, if it means ending up with a meal that looks like that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks fabulous!

    And shark is actually pretty easy to fillet due to lack of pin bones- all just cartilege.

    I will check the supermarket for you this week GW. It's sooo good! I almost cried the first time I ate it. DH was disappointed it didn't taste very fishy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boy, that looks wonderful!!! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that's incredible! makes my fish n' chips look like childs play.

    ReplyDelete