Sunday, November 07, 2010

Tateishi Gaku


Today was the "main event" for the senior school in terms of their traditional dance. They had to perform at a local event at a shrine near the school. They did their "dance" then led a procession of men in tight-fitting clothing carrying weird things. I'd love to be able to tell you what it was all about, but unfortunately the children were given no history or information about the event and all of the other parents and teachers I asked about couldn't enlighten me either! Perhaps by the time my son dances here for the last time (we have another 4 years...) I will be able to inform you a little more!




2 comments:

  1. Isn't it amazing that they don't get at least one history on why they are doing so much practice!! crazy. You still coming over this way tomorrow? Will ring you on the morn. Night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's telling that so often everyone does these festivals year after year and yet the only one who wants to know why is the foreigner....

    ReplyDelete