Friday, June 06, 2014

The berry season continues



The strawberry patch seems to be almost finished for the season, which is fortunate as now my daily activity needs to move on to picking the raspberries.  At the moment they are covered in mostly green berries, with quite a few red ones starting to appear.  Unfortunately, like all other years, their production coincides with the rainy season and the combination of heavy rain followed by humid, hot weather usually means that a lot get lost to mold.  I have put a very basic roof over them in the hope that it will save at least a few of them from rotting, but only time will tell.  In the meantime I am happy to collect a few hundred grams worth every day and squirrel them into the freezer until there are enough to actually do something decent with them.

2 comments:

  1. I have never seen anyone growing raspberries in our area. I am glad to see that they can actually grow in Japan! I really miss having fresh raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, and saskatoons in the summer :( I wonder how they would do here? Our rainy season is usually minimal to nonexistent and not very humid so mold might be less of an issue. Where did get your young plants?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura,
      I think that raspberries grow pretty well here, but that most people don't know how to use them so they aren't grown that commonly. I can often get another crop in the start of December too - if the nature Gods are shining on us!
      I got my first canes at the local plant shop - you just have to look out for them in the right season... I just can't remember what that is. Blackberries and boysenberries also grow really well here too.

      Delete