Friday, June 09, 2006

Three Vegetables within one plant

The long patch of dry weather has been broken and as a result the zucchinis had one extra day to grow before I could get to them. The result...... another basket of zucchinis and some very big marrows! I’ve just had a discussion with my mother about the difference between a zucchini and a courgette. She was convinced it was just an American and British English difference, but (as the Cook’s Garden Book told me) it actually relates to a size difference. Courgettes are the baby fruit (approx. 14X4cm) and zucchinis are the fruit of the same plants harvested when 15-20cm. For anyone who has never grown zucchinis I have one piece of advice - if you are trying to decide whether a zucchini is ready to pick today or whether you should wait and leave it for another day... pick it today! I don't know exactly what happens when a zucchini reaches a certain size, but all of a sudden it just explodes and overnight it becomes a giant marrow. Fortunately marrows can be stored for a long time and they can also make good jam (as long as you don't boil it too long and make it into a sticky mess like my first attempt this year). Unfortunately zucchinis don't last so long and currently I haven't gotten around to selling any of them so the fridge is overflowing. Within the last two days alone we have had: Pineapple and Zucchini muffins, Marinated Zucchini Salad, Couscous with zucchinis, Chicken and Zucchini slops..... and guess what kind of bread I will make for tomorrow??? Any new recipes are very welcome!

Unfortunately the rain has put a stop to the building progress, but the forecast is for sunshine tomorrow. We're off to the park!

A wider view of our new building and my garden (to the left). The garden is looking a little worse for wear after heavy rain and wind yesterday. I knew I should have staked the sunflowers sooner.....




Potato harvest has begun. I think I'll pull the rest soon before the real rainy season comes and rots them all...

No comments:

Post a Comment