Today was my children's first day at a New Zealand school. In fact, it was my son's first day at any school. They seemed to have a pretty good day, although they came home exhausted... my daughter falling into bed for an afternoon sleep with a slight fever. Hopefully it is just exhaustion and not the onset of something worse! It was an interesting experience for us all - everything is just so much more casual here compared to Japan - no entrance ceremonies - in fact we weren't even really enrolled properly to begin with - just turn up and we'll work it out kind of attitude! Other differences (I'll let you decide whether you think they are positive or negative!)
- So much grass to play on (no big dirt fields called playgrounds)
- Bright classrooms
- School lunches taken from home.... maybe Japan is not all bad!
- No textbooks
- No set times for each subject
- Individual teaching of each student for reading/maths subjects
- All parents arriving at the gate to pick up their children at 3pm