Sunday, March 23, 2008

Remembering the past

My Grandma died 6 and a half years ago and although I made it over from Japan for her funeral (just...) I wasn't present when her ashes were buried in her hometown of Dunedin. On Friday we all went to visit my Grandma for the first time in her new resting spot and thanks to the wonders of the internet were able to find her grave without getting lost once. As most people are buried individually in New Zealand as opposed to family graves in Japan, the cemeteries are a little larger and therefore a little more difficult to navigate around.
We picked some flowers from the garden and took her a jar of jam - anyone who knew her would know why! She is buried with her late husband (my grandfather) who died when he was only 26 years old - it was my first time to visit his grave too so it was nice to say hello to him for the first time and hello to Grandma again after so long.

No comments:

Post a Comment