Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Kindergarten Sports Day

My son is 5 years old and in his last year of kindergarten here in Japan. On Sunday he had his big sports day - that's right in the middle of the heat wave! I am always impressed by how much the children can do and how much they can enjoy "performing". The teachers do an amazing job of teaching them and keeping them under control. This year as well as the normal relay, sprint races etc. my son also took part in the tyre pulling, the marching (this year he is playing the 3 drums - I have no idea what they are called in English, but I do know that they are heavy even for me!), and the "rhythm dance" where they showed off their athleticism with human pyramids, balances, pom pom dancing etc. Despite the incredible heat it was a fun morning which was fortunately all finished by lunch time! I even managed to make my stupid speech as chairperson of the PTA without falling off the small podium.
Next year we will be down to just one sports day a year - the school one....

No comments:

Post a Comment