Friday, October 10, 2008

The forbidden door

This morning I walked out our kitchen door directly on to the deck, walked across the lawn, through the new hole in the hedge, down the new steps and put the compost in the compost bin - all in my pajamas. It felt great! Now that might sound a little strange to some of you, but I have been married now for almost 10 years and this is the first time I have been able to do this. In fact, it was the first time in more than 10 years that the kitchen door has been opened. Why? Because Japanese people tend to be very superstitious and even if it means a lot of inconvenience that tend to believe what fortune tellers etc. tell them. This was the case with my husband too - after his first marriage ended he took the plans of his house to a fortune teller and they told him that the failure of his marriage was because the placement of 2 doors within the house was incorrect. One is a door in the kitchen and one is a door that leads directly from the bathroom outside. For the first few years I decided to go along with this and didn't even open the window in the door in the kitchen (40 degrees outside in summer... imagine the kitchen with limited ventilation!), but last night I had had enough and decided to ask yet again if I could remove all the things from in front of the door (it had become a convenient place to dump anything and everything that wouldn't fit in the cupboards) and make it possible to go directly from the kitchen outside. I don't know if my husband just wasn't listening properly or if he has started to question the original fortune teller, but I was given permission to do so and spent till about midnight rearranging things - the result.... a much lighter, much bigger kitchen. I'm hoping that another result is not that the world will end tomorrow.... if it does, I apologize - it was my fault, I opened the door.......

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:17 pm

    日本人だけど占いを全然信じない私です。
    「人に私の人生の何がわかる!!」って感じです。キッチンのドア、絶対それのほうがいい。
    何で使わないのかな~って思ってました。
    ブログ読んで・・わかりました。
    今度、見るのが楽しみ。

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my god, I can't wait to walk through that door!

    ReplyDelete