Thursday, February 11, 2010

Angel Buttons

I can't believe I am writing two blog entries in one day! I hope it doesn't mean I won't write any more for the next few weeks....
There have been times when I've watched my mother teaching my children how to make cookies, weave flax baskets etc. and my mouth has dropped in awe. The patience it takes to do that is incredible and something that I don't usually have. Mind you, when I asked my mother if she was as patient with my brother and I when we were children she did admit that the patience is something that seems to miraculously appear when you are promoted to grandmother status. I do try to do as much cooking etc. as possible with my children, but often I am too tired to deal with explaining then redoing whatever it is they are doing. Today however I turned over a new leaf and managed to do some sewing with the children without getting grumpy (well not much anyway) and ended up with some pretty neat "Angel Buttons". What are "Angel Buttons"?I hear you ask.... well recently we have been having a few grumpy days and the children are often reminded to find their "magic buttons" which they pretend to find in their pockets and stuff into their heads in order to make turn them back into angels again. It works about 50% of the time. So today we decided to make some real "magic buttons" which the children can carry with them to give them the power to be wonderful in any situation. They cut out felt shapes, sewed sequins on them then put a magic flat marble in the middle of them before sewing around the edge - all by themselves. They then renamed them "Angel buttons" and if the amount of time they spent concentrating on them is any indication of how powerful they are going to be then we may be having the most wonderful angels in the whole wide world living under our roof!

7 comments:

  1. Can you and the kids reproduce them in large quantities please. I think I might need some. Do you think husbands can carry them too? If so please tell the kids I will pay them to make an 'I'm not just a pachinko going lieing husband, I'm actually OK' button.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow. They're beautiful! I think just looking at them would put me in a better mood. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's too cute! And it's such a good idea too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Am loving the idea of magic buttons and angel buttons. And very cute too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:33 am

    brilliant idea Jo. Great job Emily and Masaki, maybe you can make one for Uncle Jeremy and I.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous3:54 am

    It is useful to try everything in practice anyway and I like that here it's always possible to find something new. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh...love it! Good thing to do with my grankids!

    ReplyDelete