Friday, January 11, 2013

Snug as a frog in a door



I don't know if the saying "snug as a bug in a rug" is a universal saying or just one that was used where I grew up, but I think it should be changed a little to fit the Japanese countryside.  My new version is "snug as a frog in a door".  As I have mentioned before we have lots of little green frogs that join us during the summer months, serenading us with their rather loud croaking and finding original places to hide to escape the heat and scare us to death every time they fall out from their unique hiding places.  This particular frog decided it liked the tiny gap between the screen doors and every time we flung open the doors it would hold on for its life and then just start croaking again.  I presume it eventually moved off to find a quieter place to hibernate as winter approached as I haven't found a mummified one in the door...... like the ones I find when I'm doing the spring cleaning which have been sandwiched in the slat windows over the winter!

5 comments:

  1. Poor little guys :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could be a universal saying. That’s a common phrase we use in America too. I recall my mom and also my grandma saying those types of sayings when I was growing up. : ) The phrase appears in an anonymous work in 1769, but is usually attributed to Benjamin Franklin. : )

    I love that picture of that little green frog! They do hide in the darndest places. Agree, agree agree! Oh, I have a story I can share with you Jo, it might give you a smile this morning. There was 1 little frog hiding on our patio windows facing the backyard area this frog was hiding, same way how you pictured him. Anyway, it was Summer 2012 and the morning and I was walking back and forth trying to get the laundry hung outside. I did notice him. And even said a little “hey little guy!” ; ) And so I kept mindful of not to open the window 100% all the way and to watch where I was walking. A few hours later when the laundry was dry I went outside to get the clothes and bring them inside, I could now not see my feet or steps because I had a big load I was holding in my hands. I took the laundry upstairs. And later when I went outside to wipe the pole down, I saw a smashed dead frog under my flip flop. : ( The horror! I can’t begin to tell you how incredibly bad I felt. We love the frogs around here and we most certainly don’t kill them or hurt them. Well, not on purpose. : ( I was a frog murderer that day. And I felt pretty badly about it. I did scrape the poor little guy off my flip flop. He was too far gone, road kill. Patio kill would be more like it. *shakes head in shame* if I were to take a wild guess. I would say he decided to relocate from the window area and to move along the patio at the same time as I was walking with the big load of laundry. For the frog, it was just a case of being at the wrong place at the wrong time. : (

    ReplyDelete
  3. We use "snug as a bug in a rug" in Canada too! What cute frogs! I think we must live too far from any fields or ponds because I haven't seen any of these little critters around our place. Too bad because the boys would love discovering and playing with them! So far it is only praying mantis and skinks that get investigated if they choose to wander too close to our house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:08 pm

    i was sitting at the dinner table last night watching snow falling outside in the dark, thinking how during the summer there are often frogs climbing on the window while we eat...that weather's still a ways off

    ReplyDelete
  5. That made me smile, we had one single frog in our garden growing up and my sisters and I loved trying to find him...I can't wait for summer

    ReplyDelete