Saturday, June 30, 2012

Any experts out there?



Sorry I haven't been updating lately... I promise to be better in the very near future!  But for now I have a question.  Does anyone know which country this very old kimono (?) is from?  Apparently it was bought in Japan, but my initial reaction was that it is perhaps Chinese... but then I thought maybe it is Korean... and all my searches on the internet have come up blank.  Perhaps it is actually Japanese - I'm stumped!  If anyone has any knowledge of this kind of kimono I would really appreciate some insight from you.... or at least Big Kev would be very grateful!  The bottom picture is of the box that it came in.  Thank you!
Mellybird - you can get the arm protectors here at all the hardware shops, 100 yen shops etc., but basically they are just a tube of material with elastic around both ends.  If they weren't so cheap here I would probably make my own....

4 comments:

  1. I thought Mongolia but I have no idea where that thought comes from!! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. do you have this? is there any way to get a closer picture of the circles on the back (need detail), or the flowers on the front (goes around the collar) or closer pic of the box? that might help someone help you identify it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:18 pm

    Interesting piece of clothing you have there!
    My bet is that it's not Japanese, but I'm no expert.

    If you own this and if you have a good reason to do so,
    it might be a good idea to ask here?
    http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/kantei/irai/studio.html
    Perhaps you are familiar with the show?

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just reading this now... thank you for the info! I think I will make some for next gardening season.

    ReplyDelete