Monday, May 21, 2012

The value of saving


Do you remember the money box the children made when we first started selling eggs?  The idea behind it was to teach the children that if you save little bits of money at a time it can add up to big amounts.  We still have the money box and hopefully we will be able to start using it again when our new chickens start laying.  The children love counting the mounting money and we have managed to use it for some nice outings, holiday surprises etc.  
Recently I have also been discovering the joy of saving with my strawberries.  After the initial handful of strawberries I picked at the beginning of the season I continued to pick them every day and after we took what we wanted for breakfast I would put the rest into a bag in the freezer and to date I have over 1.5kg of strawberries.  The wild strawberry hunting season is also underway so I'm hoping I can find enough time to go and pick a few each day and end up with a big bag of them too.  
Now if I could only carry the concept over to my own finances.....  I was talking to a friend the other day about the fact that I am not really good at budgeting and keeping track of expenditure.  I work on a cash basis and when I have it I use it, when I don't have it I don't use it and when I have some extra I throw it into the bank.  It seems to work for now, but I'm guessing if I made more of an effort to keep track of it I might be able to accumulate a little more.  Perhaps I should try putting any extra money into a bag in the freezer.... it may miraculously expand over night!

1 comment:

  1. I remember their money box! I thought that was such an egg-cellent idea you had! ; )

    Goodness that's a nice amount of strawberries you have. : )

    ReplyDelete